[PLUG-AV] Issue with streaming (but not recording) for next PLUG Meeting May 10th 2011

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Apr 26 11:02:15 WST 2011

Hello all,

First up, we're still on for tomorrow evening (from around 6 to 10)  at
my house for working on AV kit. I'm not keen for the exact address to be
in the archives forever so I wont put it here, but we're in Ardross/Mt
Pleasant; email me directly if you intend to come or call my number
below. We'll organise some pizza at some stage; please bring whatever
you'd like to drink and enough to share with others (so, a big bottle).

Next up, we have an issue for the next PLUG Meeting on May 10th; the
venue has requested that we do not stream live from their location as
they wish to review the content before it is disseminated. They are
happy for the speaker (an employee) to say whatever they want if the
talk happens at another location, but if it is from their location, they
would like to review first. This comes from their position as a defence
contractor, and thus being a little concerned as to what gets seen.

This means we have two options:

 1. Find an alternate venue with bandwidth and stream from there
 2. Proceed with current venue, record the session, encode it, offer it
    for review, and then post it for viewing

The only venues that come to mind with bandwidth are FutureSphere in
Claremont, Artifactory in Osborne Park, and UCC at UWA in Crawley. The
presence of stairs is a negative for me at UCC and FutureSphere -
lugging (!) these systems up and down is not fun. No other suggestions
have come up from ctte over the last three days we've been looking at
this, and there is some interest in actually going to this company's
location (I am not mentioning them by name, as they are being generous
enough to host us).

*I am sorry to say, but I think the decision needs to be that we will
have to record the next PLUG presentation and post it on-line after
review.* I've been trying to resist this as I know that makes it
difficult for you, Peter, trying to get things started in Katanning, and
others who would like to watch remotely.

I've also had some feedback on the location of the PLUG talks via the
Facebook poll I set up yesterday - through only three responses. We've
been moving the venue around for the last few months to try and shake
people out who have given up coming to PLUG - many people said that the
long-term venue we had been at was too difficult/far to get to. From the
poll, it seems we need to settle down again, but also be somewhere more
central. So, we potentially need to find an accommodating location in
the CBD. The Moon & Six Pence may be one option, but there may be
others. We must have bandwidth available if streaming is to happen.
*Does anyone here know of any suitable organisations that would permit
us to meet in their meeting rooms, and have access to their bandwidth,
outside of normal business hours?*

*Just in case that's not clear, I'm looking for all 11 people on the AV
list to contribute to this discussion! :)*

I'll be taking the long term venue discussion to the main PLUG list
shortly, but the more immediate issue is the limitation on streaming for
May 10th.

  James
PS: Hope to see you tomorrow (Wednesday) to play with the kit and get a
test stream running.

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to