[PLUG-AV] Last night's recording

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed May 11 10:59:17 WST 2011

Hi all,

The raw DV file for 1 hour 19 minutes and 6 seconds was 17,086,176,000
bytes (rounds down to 16 GB), which is around 118,650 frames. So roughly
206 MB/minute. I have had a quick listen to it; we have audio, but there
is a hum/buzz on the audio line - which was probably what we could see
from the VU metre in DVswitch - although the VU was responding to people
talking/tapping on the mic, it was continuing to show a level on the audio.

We need to work out how to listen to the DVswitch audio output so we can
confirm what's going through live at that point in the capture. /You/
can test this at home by having a pre-recorded DV file (convert any
video file to DV using fmpeg if you don't have any raw DV files around).
Then fire up dvswitch (using "-host 127.0.0.1" and "-port 1234"), and
then feed your video file to dvswitch (using "-l" to loop, and "-host
127.0.0.1 -port 1234"). You should see your video file as the (one and
only) available video source. Open another window and send again if you
want to be able to switch between video sources.

I've copied the video file to my little Revo box, and he's happily
encoding using Jason's magic command line from an earlier post. I
couldn't get the hqdn3d filter to work, so I dropped that one and
proceeded. It's currently processing at 3fps; given 118k frames, that's
11 hours until it completes this encoding to MP4 (it's not a fast box
being an Atom, but it can sit there doing it all day while I try and work).

I'll send an update when its encoded.

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au
Perth.pm Organiser 2011: http://perth.pm.org