[PLUG-AV] Quick update

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue May 17 19:50:52 WST 2011

On 17/05/2011 6:45 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:
> Note for future reference (will we need a wiki at some point?):
We have a wiki! The PLUG web site; there is a section for our project,
just set the "path" of the documents you create to something "under" the
path "projects/video", for example, "projects/video/hdmi". ** Make an
account on the web site and we'll add editing rights for the entire
site. Add any docs you want to it.

> "standard" cat1 hdmi cables can be up to 5m.  High quality cat1 HDMI
> cables can be up to 25 metres.  Might give us room to play a bit.
> Prolly significantly more expensive though.  Would that make something
> like the bm shuttle a goer?
I think HDMI would be used just as firewire is now, not hugely more
flexible.
> Camera -> 25m HDMI cable -> shuttle -> 3m USB3 cable -> USB3 port on
> mixing box?
>
> Might have to look into "real world" sustained USB3 transfer rate.  Be
> nice to be able to play with one before we spend any dollars.  Oh well.

I suspect USB3 may be a requirement; I see PCI-E cards for $22 and $17
on deal extreme. But that does then rule out laptops and rule in SFF
desktops (most nettops don't have PCI/PCI-E).

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au