[PLUG-AV] Quick update

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at mapforge.com.au
Tue May 17 18:45:31 WST 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 17:50 +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:

> Capture card:  I'm now looking again (PS3 network back online!).  Should
> be something out there, but more research needed.  Is USB3 fast enough?
> The black magic intensity shuttle which does USB3 output, but the USB3
> standard specifies rather short cables which doesn't really work for us.
> They do have a PCI-e card (supposedly working with linux), but I'm yet
> to see any costs or reports on it yet.  I'll keep looking, and make some
> calls tomorrow.

Note for future reference (will we need a wiki at some point?):

"standard" cat1 hdmi cables can be up to 5m.  High quality cat1 HDMI
cables can be up to 25 metres.  Might give us room to play a bit.
Prolly significantly more expensive though.  Would that make something
like the bm shuttle a goer?

Camera -> 25m HDMI cable -> shuttle -> 3m USB3 cable -> USB3 port on
mixing box?

Might have to look into "real world" sustained USB3 transfer rate.  Be
nice to be able to play with one before we spend any dollars.  Oh well.

Tim