[PLUG-AV] Quick update

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue May 17 20:50:35 WST 2011

On 17/05/2011 8:24 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 19:50 +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
>> I suspect USB3 may be a requirement; I see PCI-E cards for $22 and
>> $17 on deal extreme. But that does then rule out laptops and rule in
>> SFF desktops (most nettops don't have PCI/PCI-E).
> If it can be passed through a USB3 port on the shuttle fast enough (ie,
> as fast as the shuttle HDMI input gets the stream), then there is no
> need for a camera PC at all.
The main thing that I am yet to see is the performance of USB3. And I
don't mean the quoted bandwidth, but the load placed upon the CPU. The
main reason why firewire wins over USB2 is not speed; its the load that
USB puts on the CPU (by way of interrupts) that firewire doesn't.
Firewire has rock solid timing, so no data is ever delayed or buffered;
USB is subject to CPU scheduling.

> The shuttle device would replace that.
> The only PC in the whole setup would be the mixing box.  Downside is
> we're limited on the maximum distance of cameras from the mixing box "as
> the cable runs" to 25m.  Probably a bit short as the max distance from
> the mixing box, but then why can't the mixer sit at a second low powered
> box (even in another room/annex?) and remote login to the full powered
> headless mixing box that could sit anywhere suitable for the cameras?
> That way the maximum distance between any two cameras could be up to 50m
> (theoretically).
So I tried using dvswitch over VNC; that's a no go- the main video
window, which issue Xv to some such to render, is not shown over a VNC link.

I would still like to have each cam op on a headset, and that requires
the local PC to be working. We dint try mumble last week as we were in a
very small space so it didn't make sense. We should try this somewhere
bigger - more spread out. So I dont think we get rid of the camera
capture boxes; the ones we have now, although large and in need of
quieter fans, are doing the job.

I just re-watched our video, and the flickering of the P-in-P happens
from both cameras. I suspect it was the box we were using being
underpowered. But we have a much more powerful box in AV 2 now up and
running. *Jason: *what's the size of the fan thats really noisy in AV2
there with you?

Having another machine outside that's doing stuff - well, definitely an
option for the OGG encoding; that's what we did at UCC. But if we get a
quad core CPU into the AMD mobo AV2 box, then we may be sorted??

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au
Perth.pm Organiser 2011: http://perth.pm.org