[PLUG-AV] Quotes/Some ideas

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Jun 1 15:25:29 WST 2011

Hi all
I've been reading though the Lottery West application and thinking about
our set up. I think we should look at:

  * 3 x Dell 990 USFF, low end CPU, small SSD, small screen, PCI-E
    firewire - video sources
  * 1 x Dell 990 SFF, high end CPU, small SSD, medium screen, extra
    audio card for line in? - DVswitch mixer
  * 1 x Dell 990 SFF, high end CPU, small SSD, large HDD, small screen,
    extra NIC for video out to external network? - encoder + archiver

If the 990 form factor can take one SSD and one HDD disk, then we have
it with system on SSD, and video archiving to HDD; if it can only take
one, then we just get a large HDD. The rest of the machines are on SSDs
(current install size on these machines is around 5 GB, so a 10 GB SSD
should be cheap and ensure maximum performance). Even the DVswitch box
doesn't require storage if we offload to the encoder box to save video...

Comparison pricing, from their web site, with Windows installed and no
SSDs (its a ballpark):

  * 990 USFF, Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.1 Ghz, 3 MB cache, 220 GB HDD, 19"
    E1911 monitor, 2 GB RAM = AU$1,530.59
  * 990 SFF, Core i7-2600 @ 3.4 Ghz, 8 MB cache, 500 GB HDD, 22" E2210
    monitor, 4 GB RAM = AU$2,051.60

What do we think? Shall I get a quote for the above from Dell? Says
their site: "/Two written quotes for items over $3,000; a written
estimate, advertised price, or one written quote for items under $3,000
(low value, miscellaneous items can be grouped together to $1,000)/".

The reason I've been banging on about getting the make/model of
equipment together is to generate these quotes.  Does someone else want
to get quotes for two cameras + tripods? How about Canon HV30 or Canon
HV40
http://www.canon.com.au/en-au/For-You/Digital-Video-Cameras/LEGRIA-Video-Cameras/HV40,
perhaps http://www.digitalcameras.com.au/product.asp?productid=251309 at
$1226?

Back of napkin, if the Dell 990 we got priced up before with display
comes in around $1,500, the USFF ones end up around $1,000 = $6,000 on
Dell kit, + $2500 on cameras + $200 on tripods + $1000 mic kit + cables
(anyone want to work on spec'ing and pricing that) comes to $9,700.
Quotes need to be retail in Australia, with GST clearly shown.

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au
Perth.pm Organiser 2011: http://perth.pm.org