[PLUG-AV] HDMI pass through.

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sat Jun 4 12:03:58 WST 2011

>> So HDMI capture (and possible downsizing) is an option. Here are possibly
>> cheaper HDMI cameras, we just need to find an ExpressCard HDMI capture (if
>> we are to use the Vostro laptops). However, there aren't any...
>>

> The blackmagic guys had a HDMI capture device on USB 3.0 called the
> Intensity Shuttle, the issue being drivers... It's pretty early days in this
> space so I think something will come along, we're just in a pickle atm.
>
> There's another option too, on Deal Extreme I just noticed a HDMI -> VGA
> converter box which is $33US. This means we could hook up the camera to
> that, then the twinpac, and get DV out of it over firewire! Bit convoluted
> but it's a fully hardware setup (wonder on the lag though) and the twinpac
> is a handy thing. I'm not proposing HDMI camera + HDMI -> vga box + twinpac
> is a good setup since we could just get a new DV camera for that price. But
> it's an option (and we'd need a 2nd twinpac).

Has anyone yet attempted to contact Blackmagic Design about the Shuttle (and
linux support) yet?

Their FAQ mentions they're interested so I will email them if no one has
already tried. Also until we get the hardware I'm not even sure the USB 3.0
ports will work (is there proper linux support for those - it's a fairly
recent thing!).

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857