[PLUG-AV] HDMI pass through.

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sat Jun 4 11:51:00 WST 2011

> The Deal Extreme HDMI to mini HDMI cable I ordered several weeks ago to
> test out with my HD Sony HDR-TG1E camera arrived today (and I also got a
> tripod of my own today - Sony one with nice remote commander on the pan
> handle - will show some time). The point of this was to determine if on my
> HD camcorder if the HDMI would do "live" video feed.
>
> Answer: yes.

Good to know.

> So HDMI capture (and possible downsizing) is an option. Here are possibly
> cheaper HDMI cameras, we just need to find an ExpressCard HDMI capture (if
> we are to use the Vostro laptops). However, there aren't any...

The blackmagic guys had a HDMI capture device on USB 3.0 called the
Intensity Shuttle, the issue being drivers... It's pretty early days in this
space so I think something will come along, we're just in a pickle atm.

There's another option too, on Deal Extreme I just noticed a HDMI -> VGA
converter box which is $33US. This means we could hook up the camera to
that, then the twinpac, and get DV out of it over firewire! Bit convoluted
but it's a fully hardware setup (wonder on the lag though) and the twinpac
is a handy thing. I'm not proposing HDMI camera + HDMI -> vga box + twinpac
is a good setup since we could just get a new DV camera for that price. But
it's an option (and we'd need a 2nd twinpac).

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857