[PLUG-AV] Sound options: summary

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Jun 23 21:52:52 WST 2011

Hi all,
Harry, Nick and I ended up at Kosmic. We spoke with Andrew Lacey. We
decided on:

* Shure MX391 "boundary" mic - a desk mic that pics up all around. While
ther are wired and wireless versions, I think we're better off with
wired. They also come in three pick-up patterns - omni, 135º, and
bi-polar. For a panel style session I think two of the 135º ones placed
on the table are possibly best. These are around $335 ea, and are XLR based.

* JTS IN64 lapel mic, belt pack and receiver. While still an analogue
system, you can operate up to 16 separate channels - so woul scale up
for a multi-room conference. I'm budgeting 2 per room.  $399. XLR based
from the receiver.

* Soundcraft Notepad 124 - 8 channels - of which 4 are mono XLR based
(and the other 4 are treated as 2 stereo. $229

* 2 x 1 metre XLR cables for radio mic to mixing desk $15 ea

* 2 x 10 metre XLR for "boundary" mics to desk: $37 ea.

We looked at a boom mic that someone could operate to pcik up room
questions - the solution came in at $577 (Rhode NT62 mic $359, Rhode PG2
shock mount, and a telescopic pole $139. But I think I prefer handing
around a wireless mic. The wireless mic and base is around $700 or less
(is a mic with a transmitter compatible with the JTS receiver.

So attached is the grant application form. Jason, can you please have a
look as there is treasurer related information we'll need to attach. I
havent got the exact pricing of the laptops in here (need to add them
up) and we're taking a guess on the cameras (and tripods) but let see if
we can get some of this together ASAP and get this lodged. Time is ticking.

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au