[PLUG-AV] Some stuff from the US. (And tentative expression of support for next workshop, Sun 31st)

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sat Jul 23 13:53:38 WST 2011

Hello all,

I'm back from the US, and I come bearing gifts.

I have purchased for us a (compact) 12 channel 2 Bus Xenyx 1202FX audio
mixer desk. We were looking at an equivalent Soundcraft Notepad system -
this has more channels and was the same price. I picked up a pair of 15
metre XLR cables, and a pair of 1 metre XLR cables. I grabbed an XLR to
1/4" jack adaptor, a firewire 6 to 4 cable (was $4 or so), and a few DB9
shells for us to solder/build some tally lights (just need some light
cable, some LEDs, solder and time - see directions on the DVswitch web
site). I also got us one Shure PG48 mic to get us started.

While we're after a bunch of radio and boundary mics, they were too
expensive on top of what I have purchased for me to get this time --
these mics should be covered by the grant if/when it happens, but in the
mean time we have key parts to get started with.

This probably means we should have another plastic tub for "audio kit".

We also need someone from this list to step up who wants to be the
"audio person" and run this kit during each session.

I also grabbed a desktop (fan-less) 8 port gigabit switch as well (just
need an AU power adaptor - 5V at 1A) for around US$39.

Anyway, we need to schedule another workshop to play with this kit.
There are 14 people on this list; and each time we've done this only 3
or so have turned up. Can we get some indication from everyone if you
would be able to and interested in meeting next Sunday 31st to get the
gear out (venue and time yet to be decided, but likely to be pretty
central and starting mid morning). It would be great if we get 5
confirmed attendees to make it worth our while to lug (!) the boxes
around (I also need to check with my Mrs first!!). But a show of support
would be great to start off with...

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au
Perth.pm Organiser 2011: http://perth.pm.org