[PLUG-AV] av last night & future workshop

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Jul 14 00:54:08 WST 2011

On 13/07/2011 12:26 AM, Tim Bowden wrote:
> All 4 of these are easily solved with a bit of effort and hence the
> need for a workshop. I think it'd be best to include James so that
> means sometime after Fri 22nd but before the next meeting.

Please do include me as I have lost of new gear for us from my current
trip to the USA for us to also learn (audio mixer being a key part). I
think sinc ewe need a decent chunk of time it will need to be a weekend;
possibly a Sunday mid morning until we're done?

> Last night I actually documented the whole process on AV2 but it needs
> to be verified and it would be good to automate bits if possible and
> otherwise make it more bullet proof. It also doesn't cover verifying
> the streaming is actually working.
Harry was also working on some documentation; I suggest we move this to
the Drupal web site (without passwords in the doco). Of course, havnig
written the doco th enext most important thing its getting everyone else
involved to understand it. I'm sure now that I have been absent you'll
appreciate the work required to get set up for this; it needs to be
stream lined with everyone understanding their role in the set up. we
can split the set-up to: Power, Data/Network, /N/ x Camera ops guys (2),
Audio.

> The audio is an ongoing problem but at least I worked out how to get
> it coming in on AV2 now (and it's in the docs). We really need
> something to deal with the poor levels though so hopefully the mixer
> James is bringing back from the US will do that for us.
On top of that, I have acquired a USB XLR adaptor; don't know if it runs
under Linux, but its yet something else for us to try out.

> Here is my list of things we need to do in the workshop - please add
> your suggestions too:
>
> - label high-res screen for AV2 (and as the DVswitch host)
> - docs: add steps to verify streaming is working
> - verify entire process as documented and time it from
> pile-of-stuff-out-of-car to recording.
> - ensure print-out of process is included in kit

I feel we need much more practice with more than just 3 of us turning
up. I have become pretty quick at set up, but everyone needs to be on
the same page when we have a short time to be prepared, and have people
possibly unable to attend or delayed. So far our set up is very basic;
we need to get beyond the basic to do some more advanced experiments
(such as real-time titling).

  James
PS: Haven't heard anything yet from LotteryWest.

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au