[PLUG-AV] big thanks for last night

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 14:24:42 WST 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:

>  On 12/10/2011 12:08 PM, Leon Wright wrote:
>
> Yeah looked very much like a PSU in AV1, smelt funny, looked cheap (the PSU
> is the one place you don't want to go cheap), wasn't posting and no initial
> flash of the keyboard lights on power up. Tried a bios reset + reseating
> memory etc.
>
> We have another dead machine that we didn't take to the venue last night -
> AV4; so that's two down of the four we had. Does someone want to see if they
> can resurrect one working by combining parts of either? If anyone has time,
> let me know. While we probably won't normally have three video cameras in
> operation, having two would be good (having just one camera is a little
> boring).

I'm happy to take a look, bit of a hardware guy so I should be able to
figure out what the drama is and get something operational.

>  I think having the right equipment, that is all consistent, removing the
> on fly changes will go a long way to sorting out the issues we had last
> night. I'm fairly confident we could script a lot of the manual command
> running we have to do during setup as well (I have some ideas). Ideally the
> AV boxes could be headless. Plug in network, plug in power, switch on and
> walk away.
>
> Headless is potentially an issue for running Mumble; sadly, there's only an
> X windows client for it, and not a command line one (new project, anyone?).
> Ideally we wouldnt need X on the video dvsource-firewire hosts, and thus it
> would require less resources.

Not something I thought of, however headless could be "optional" for the
static cameras/twinpact boxes and making the same configuration for every
box would mean that you could use any box for any job if there are issues
etc. It could also be possible to launch mumble headless, but I've only had
a brief play with it so far. (auto-login x, startup command etc)

Leon