[PLUG-AV] big thanks for last night

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Oct 12 12:51:03 WST 2011

On 12/10/2011 12:08 PM, Leon Wright wrote:
> Yeah looked very much like a PSU in AV1, smelt funny, looked cheap
> (the PSU is the one place you don't want to go cheap), wasn't posting
> and no initial flash of the keyboard lights on power up. Tried a bios
> reset + reseating memory etc.
We have another dead machine that we didn't take to the venue last night
- AV4; so that's two down of the four we had. Does someone want to see
if they can resurrect one working by combining parts of either? If
anyone has time, let me know. While we probably won't normally have
three video cameras in operation, having two would be good (having just
one camera is a little boring).

> I think having the right equipment, that is all consistent, removing
> the on fly changes will go a long way to sorting out the issues we had
> last night. I'm fairly confident we could script a lot of the manual
> command running we have to do during setup as well (I have some
> ideas). Ideally the AV boxes could be headless. Plug in network, plug
> in power, switch on and walk away.
Headless is potentially an issue for running Mumble; sadly, there's only
an X windows client for it, and not a command line one (new project,
anyone?). Ideally we wouldnt need X on the video dvsource-firewire
hosts, and thus it would require less resources.

I had some correspondence from LotteryWest on Friday, just some more
paperwork to forward - so its still ticking over.

It also became apparent that we need a few more audio connectors in our
bag of tricks: a 3.5mm stereo mic jack gender bender - F-F, along with
male RCA to F 3.5mm could have been useful, and potentially a 3.5mm
splitter to give laptop audio to room and a copy to line in on the
mixing desk?? Anyone got any of these? Not to mention a 4pin to 4pin
firewire cable....

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>