[PLUG-AV] Update AV quoet for LotteryWest

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Tue Nov 29 12:08:15 WST 2011

Hey James,

Yeah might be an issue with the 13" model (3350), the images show an
express card sized slot above the optical drive, the old docs mentioned it,
and it used to be in the feature list (search and see comments on forums
etc...). Looks like it was just crap effort on Dell behalf and there isn't
one.

The 14" model (3450) does have it though, and it was actually cheaper, just
a bit larger :)

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:

>  Hi All,
> I've just had a call from Pauline Edwards at LotteryWest. They would like
> an updated quote for:
>
>    - The four laptops (three capture, one Dvswitch host)
>    - The two cameras
>
> We can purchase online (worldwide) or locally. As we had, our requirements
> for the capture laptops were:
>
>    - ExpressCard slot
>    - USB3
>    - Gigabit wired ethernet
>    - Probably 2 or 4 GB RAM (not doing much)
>    - Not much on the CPU side (unless it needs to do on the fly
>    transcoding from HD video sources to SD)
>     - Small disk (OS only). Perhaps an 8 GB SSD would do???
>

> For the DVSwitch (vision mixer) host, I'd put it as
>
>    - ExpressCard slot
>    - USB3
>    - Gigabit wired ethernet
>    - 4 GB RAM, possibly 6 or 8 GB
>    - Powerful multi-core CPU for mixing, encoding and mumble
>    - Large disk for storage of video being recorded (though 256 GB should
>    be plenty)
>

> Archives of this mailing list will show prior discussion
> http://lists.plug.org.au/pipermail/av/
>
>    - Jason's list of possible systems from June:
>    http://lists.plug.org.au/pipermail/av/2011q2/000209.html
>

> I can't see Express card listed on the Dell specs anywhere.... so that
> needs to be confirmed (plus we need to get the ExpressCard firewire card
> quoted).
>
> Does anyone have time to review, and get a quote?
>

> As for cameras, this will be difficult as we need to get firewire
> (otherwise we have a bigger risk in switching to HD cameras and HDMI
> capture and possibly transcoding on capture boxes to SD before feeding to
> dvswitch...).
>
>  James
>
> --
> *Mobile:* +61 422 166 708, *Email:* james_AT_rcpt.to
> PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http://http/www.plug.org.au>

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857