[PLUG-AV] Update AV quote for LotteryWest

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Nov 29 11:53:53 WST 2011

On 29/11/2011 11:26 AM, Tim White wrote:

>> As for cameras, this will be difficult as we need to get firewire
>> (otherwise we have a bigger risk in switching to HD cameras and HDMI
>> capture and possibly transcoding on capture boxes to SD before
>> feeding to dvswitch...).

.. now I've spotted the issue on the Vostro 3350. Indeed, it appears it
(no longer) has Expresscard. I suspect this pushes the capture boxes to
the 3450?

(Note, Dell will force us to purchase windows licences, but we will have
to go through declining the EULA)

> Interesting thought I had a little while ago. A lot of professional
> videography is now done on consumer SLR cameras. (In particular
> Canons). I know on my Mac, I can connect my canon SLR via usb and see
> the "video" live. There has been work in creating drivers that allow
> that video to be captured and/or streamed so to use it as a webcam.
> My initial research suggests there was at one stage work on a V4L
> driver for this kind of capture. When I get a bit more time I hope to
> research it a bit more and see if I can make it work. I believe the
> reason for the 12minute capture limit on the SLR's is to give the
> sensor a chance to cool down, and because you don't normally need
> 12minutes of continuous footage. (What scene is shot in one shoot
> longer than 12 minutes?) Not sure if there is a 12minute limit when
> doing capture over usb.
>
> I'll look into this more when I can. Would be much easier than
> firewire, and the basic SLR's are < $1000 now.

Possible - indeed, as is getting a shuttle HDMI capture device and
trying that - but I think we should go with a known working solution for
now (we need to get this as a formal quote back ASAP).

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>