[PLUG-AV] Updated Dell quote

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 30 15:03:37 WST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 02:18:54PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> Not a bad idea, but I think we're locked in with 3 small and one bigger
> host now. Here's an updated quote  using the larger quad core 3750 and
> 3450 as per Jason's email. Can I get a few thumbs up and I'll forward
> this one.

Thumbs up, got to send something, goferit.

I get the impression it might be better to keep our first application
very simple and fixed.

That said, one needs an indicative budget, not an unfixed and unfixable
quote.

I think/hope that we're not locked into that - any quote we get today
or in December or January will never be final. It's today's list of
some of the needed items, with example available configurations that
would seem to do the job, not a final exact-to-the-cent comprehensive
purchase order. Grants just don't work that fast or with that level
of micromanagement.

(The screendump bitmap PDF's are a bit annoying, the copy/paste text
would be better, and easier for you)

> Anyone got a solid quite on two firewire cameras yet?

The few remaining possibilities on those appeared to be bad value as of a
few months ago, so there will have to be an estimated budget, not an exact
quote. I think the plan at this point should be to buy:
 * an experimental HDMI camera and capture device; and
 * 2-4 secondhand MiniDV cameras to get the job done in the meantime,
   not all at once, as we find ones that work well or badly; and/or
 * suitable v4l digital SLRs or similar.

Plus assorted battery eliminators/PSUs, cables, postage&packing, etc.

Camera budget: $3000?

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal