[PLUG-AV] Cameras : getting urgent now.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Dec 5 15:25:10 WST 2011

On 5/12/2011 3:11 PM, Si. wrote:
> Simon here, you may remember me from such events as Carl Gherardi's
> talk on IPV6 and ... well ... just that really.    Carl told me about
> your quest to outfit yourselves with a nice multi-camera mobile
> streaming / recording system and i'd like to throw my hat into the
> ring by suggesting the following.
>
>  1. Video feed via Sony Camcorder with composite out or HDMI out. -
>     $499 - http://www.sony.com.au/product/hdr-cx130e (I have one of
>     these if you want to play with it)
>  2. Capture to PC/MAC via USB 3.0 device. - $199
>     - http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/models/ (I
>     want one of these if you're looking to woo me into your group)

Hey - we've been looking at getting one of these - once we have a PC
with USB3 on it. All the kit we have at the moment is a little (lot)
older! ;)

> I would also like to bring your attention to the following products.
>
>   * H.264 Pro Recorder
>     - http://www.blackmagic-design.com/au/products/h264prorecorder/techspecs/
>   * HDMI to HD-SDI Converter
>     - http://dveo.com/broadcast-systems/HDMI-to-HD-SDI-converter.shtml
>   * DirectLink 4K
>     - http://www.blackmagic-design.com/au/products/decklink4k/
>
> I also have a GOPRO HD HERO
> <http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-motorsports-hero-camera/> & a GOPRO HD
> HERO2 <http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-motorsports-edition/> if you
> want to experiment with some different cameras.  They will require the
> USB 3.0 capture device previously recommended.

Right now, we have a grant rquest in for a bunch of laptops tripods, and
some standard firewire cameras (we've just been rehashing the camera
spec). The laptops we're looking at are all USB and ExpressCard enabled
- so we have flexibility to play with the intensity once we have this,
but we'll also have a fully working solution from the moment this grant
is approved.

> You can also go a little crazy and get hardcore by taking your video
> feeds into a mixing desk like the Roland VR-5
> <http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VR5/> and output it via a
> converter to a Linux box.
>
>     *Sony Camera/s > HDMI-to-HD-SDI-converter/s > Mixing desk > USB
>     3.0 Capture device > Linux Box
>     *

Looks like a neat video mixer.  Great entry level unit, but obviously
non-free. ;)

> Any Questions?
Want to come play at the next PLUG talk? ;) Tuesday Dec 13th, venue TBA.

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>