[PLUG-AV] Moodle video review

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Feb 15 14:49:22 WST 2012

That command line doesn't actually include the *slower *profile, which is
at least partially, why the file is larger. FYI with the x264 codec the crf
option determines the overall quality which has a size implication and the
speed profile enables/disables things to reach that quality level in
different ways with the slowest profiles offering much better compression
for the same crf value. There's almost no gain from slower to slowest in my
testing apart from being really really slow :) Slower did a really good job
in a reasonable time on the quad-core systems.

I know there were some issues with the cmd line options changing and poor
documention, plus either rebuilding or reverting to the distro version -
you'll need to do some investigating...

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:

>  On 15/02/2012 2:01 PM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
>
> Why is the video so large?
>

> Original is 1:22 long, so longer than normal, but not trouble or triple. I
> used the same script we used last month, and before:
>
> * time ffmpeg -i "$1" -deinterlace -acodec libfaac -ab 96k -ac 1 -ar
> 44100 -crf 28 -threads 0 -vcodec libx264 ${1%.dv}.x264-28-slower.mp4*
>

> --
> *Mobile:* +61 422 166 708, *Email:* james_AT_rcpt.to
> PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http://http/www.plug.org.au>

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857