[PLUG-AV] follow up on NBN talk

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Mar 14 11:15:30 WST 2012

On 14/03/2012 9:52 AM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> The video has been posted, see my msg to the main PLUG list.
>
> James FYI we actually lost dvswitch I think ~1.5mins in when i tried
> to do picture-in-picture, it simply crashed. We quickly restarted
> everything and got recording and streaming again with minimal loss -
> thanks in part to the new control panel thing Euan put together -
> except that in the process the main camera wasn't playing ball any
> longer. We could get it to feed video in but as soon as we switched to
> that input in dvswitch that feed would die. Unfortunately that left
> only the side camera. This was OK for Chris' talk but useless for the
> panel discussion hence the timeout at the end of the talk so we could
> reboot the system. After the reboot everything was good again, yay.
>
> Due to dvswitch crashing with PIP I decided not to use it at all cause
> we couldn't risk more crashes...

I also found a bug whereby if you enable fade, and your first source in
the gallery is an audio-only source (ie, dvsource-alsa), and you then
try to switch to a video source, it goes boom!

Perhaps we should try and replicate the exact issues that caused this
recent issue. It could be the firewire stack, or the combination of
video ingest (firewire capture) and mixing on the same host getting out
of sync?

Either way, well done in recovering the situation.

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>