[PLUG-AV] Fwd: Spending the Grant: Mumble session, tomorrow, 7:30pm.

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 08:51:38 WST 2012

For the benefit of the list. Reply-to-all just isn't in my vocabulary

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:

> I suspect that the $1200 for a Thinkpad T520 being some $350 more (50%
> more) than the Vostros may be an issue.
>
> Please review the spec above and compare to what else you can find. By
> that, I mean a full specification, ready-to-buy complete and exact model
> number and quote, not just "A mac"! Obviously the above also requires us to
> source 3 ExpressCard firewire units from somewhere (Dell wont do them).

I've asked our supplier what he can do on a T-series. A T520 is unnecessary
as all our T4xx series have firewire/Express
port/esata/802.11bgn/Bluetooth. I brought in a couple T410 notebooks for
the Rusty talk and one was used for the Twinpact, so the onboard firewire
seems to work with our setup.

The T series are dearer, but the ones we get come with 3 years warranty
(back to base, but there is a local repairer and they are happy to ship end
user replaceable parts) and are quite sturdy, which is something we should
really think about. It would be a shame to get 1.5 years down the track and
have some major component blow up with no recourse.

Leon