[PLUG-AV] Spending the Grant: Mumble session, tomorrow, 7:30pm.

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:41:57 WST 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:

> Thats a strong contender and a good price: $2376.00 inc GST one year
> warranty, *$2854.50 inc GST* three year warranty.
>
> Dell came back with a 3 year warranty all up price of *$2,640.00* *inc GST
> * (an uplift of $363 inc GST compared to 1 year Dell warranty, or $121
> inc GST each = $110 ex GST each). Thats $880 inc GST each, which is on our
> budget!
>
> Thus the HP Probook is $214.50 inc GST more ($71.50 inc GST each, or $65
> ex GST each) - with an extra GB of RAM in each. As these are mainly just
> running ingest, that memory may not get used much (2 GB may be sufficient).
>
> Here's some questions: which is more durable? Which is better? Is the HP
> worth an extra $214?
>

>   James
> --
> *Mobile:* +61 422 166 708, *Email:* james_AT_rcpt.to
> PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http://http/www.plug.org.au>

Probably much of a muchness durability wise. Won't be as tough as a
Thinkpad, but price is important. Stott and Hoare provide local service,
any issues we can take them back and they'll deal with sorting warranty. I
personally find anything in the sub $1000 range very flimsy. HP also have
an "Accidental Damage" option as part of their warranty, I wonder if that's
worthwhile looking into?

I've asked our account manager for an official quote and if he can do any
better price wise. I sent through a bit of information about PLUG and the
project as well. Do we have some official membership numbers I can point to?

Leon