[PLUG-AV] Spending the Grant: Mumble session, tomorrow, 7:30pm.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Mar 21 11:46:45 WST 2012

On 21/03/2012 11:41 AM, Leon Wright wrote:
> Probably much of a muchness durability wise. Won't be as tough as a
> Thinkpad, but price is important. Stott and Hoare provide local
> service, any issues we can take them back and they'll deal with
> sorting warranty. I personally find anything in the sub $1000 range
> very flimsy. HP also have an "Accidental Damage" option as part of
> their warranty, I wonder if that's worthwhile looking into?
You're welcome to compare the intricate details of the two warranties
and let me know! ;)

We know that these machines will be used at least 12 times per year for
6 hours each time, and the rest of that they are likely to be in their
bags, in crates. Its not like these are the primary workstation for a
road warrior -- so hopefully (touch wood) nothing bad will happen to
them. Thats the role of insurance - roll of the dice - but low
utilisation should be on our side.

> I've asked our account manager for an official quote and if he can do
> any better price wise. I sent through a bit of information about PLUG
> and the project as well. Do we have some official membership numbers I
> can point to?

Financial members: 80. Mailing list subscribers: 350. Registrations/ABN
on the plug web site (see the footer). We're a registered non-profit
association.

  James
For the lurkers on this list who are not members: membership is just
$20/year ($10/year concession). Funds help run PLUG. Please sign up (see
the web site).

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>