[PLUG-AV] streaming video quality

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Jul 11 14:09:18 WST 2012

Hello People,

It looks like we're currently streaming our talks at approx 160kbps. This
is with full resolution but only 5fps and horrible audio at 9600kpbs and
reduced quality at that.

I think we should be aiming for around 500kpbs and drastically improve the
audio then use whatever else to improve the video.

Pros are significantly improved stream.

Cons are: 1) uplink needs to be able to send 500kpbs reliably 2) user needs
at least 500kpbs download.

I think con (2) isn't really relevant since you already have to be on ADSL
to watch the current stream - it'd only be an issue with ADSL1 users with
crappy connections.

The load on plugav1-mix is low enough it doesn't matter what we go with.

Separately, if there is a demand for very log bitrate streams we can do
that too in addition to the higher bitrate stream.

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857