[PLUG-AV] UEFI talk now available

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Jul 11 16:39:17 WST 2012

Hey AV team,

Video from last night is now available and linked from website. I haven't
announced to the mailing list yet - thought people may want to check it
first:

http://www.plug.org.au/events/2012

Also just for a comparison between the x264 and theora encodes, the x264
average bitrate is 190kbps with 96kbps audio (very good quality) and video
is almost as good as original DV at full 25fps. Perhaps there's some magic
theora encoding options but it really just doesn't compete. It's also much
slower at encoding than x264 as it's single threaded...

With more playing around with ffmpeg2theora I can get audio at 78kpbs +
video at 420kbps (total ~500kbps) and keep fairly good video but only
12fps, and it's definitely not as good as the x264 encode. So this is what
I've updated the streaming script to produce from now on unless someone
objects. And we should also see about other streaming servers than icecast
to support other containers beside ogg.

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857