[PLUG-AV] UEFI talk now available

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Jul 11 20:17:47 WST 2012

On 11/07/2012 4:39 PM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> Video from last night is now available and linked from website. I
> haven't announced to the mailing list yet - thought people may want to
> check it first:
> http://www.plug.org.au/events/2012
Awesome.

> Also just for a comparison between the x264 and theora encodes, the
> x264 average bitrate is 190kbps with 96kbps audio (very good quality)
> and video is almost as good as original DV at full 25fps. Perhaps
> there's some magic theora encoding options but it really just doesn't
> compete. It's also much slower at encoding than x264 as it's single
> threaded...
It may be negligible, but we could possibly drop the audio bitrate down
to mono 48kbps on the x264. I'm interested to know what the VP8 stuff is
like now - its been a year since we last compared VP8 and x264.

> With more playing around with ffmpeg2theora I can get audio at 78kpbs
> + video at 420kbps (total ~500kbps) and keep fairly good video but
> only 12fps, and it's definitely not as good as the x264 encode. So
> this is what I've updated the streaming script to produce from now on
> unless someone objects. And we should also see about other streaming
> servers than icecast to support other containers beside ogg.

We need to have a workshop where we throw the video into Flumotion. We
can define a workflow for Flumotion to do an on-site encode to a 500
kbps stream, and send it off-site to another Flumotion host which
transcodes this 500 kbps stream to other protocols at this bit rate, and
also at a much lower bit rate (100 kbps?), and possibly even an
audio-only stream?

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>