[PLUG-AV] Equipment Boxes, inventory, networking

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 17 13:51:57 WST 2012

On 07/16/12 22:43, Luke John wrote:
> If anybody remembers, it would be great to label each of the equipment
> boxes with what they contain to make set up, pack up, and determining
> who has what gear in between talks simpler.

Agreed. There's been some partial labelling, but as we rearrange things
it needs to be updated. Not sure if I got your point exactly Luke, but
were you suggesting bringing along some white stickers or tape and a
texta next time?

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:53:34PM +0800, Euan de Kock wrote:
> I agree, and I'd like to see us move to a box per Laptop/Function, so we
> can fine tune exactly what we need rather than just having a pool of
> power cables, network kit etc.

We took an initial step in that direction, packing things into the
laptop bags, I think the idea is something like:

Ingest workstation:
 * Laptop, bag, tally light?, firewire card, cable, camera, PSU, 1x ethernet cable
 * Tripod, powerboard
Speaker ingest also requires:
 * Twinpact, boundary mike, speaker mike

Leaving the mixing hub:
 * Audio mixer, PSU and cabling
 * plugav1-mix, netinst, encode laptop and bag
 * main network switch and powerboard

The idea being that these get bundled into an appropriately sized box
or kit and perhaps in a partly connected ready-to-run layout in a custom
foam packing. It's going to take a few more trial runs to get there,
but I want to encourage someone to measure or borrow the gear and help
us put that together. Current bank balance is $2294.02. I've seen some
possibly useful foam-packed suitcases in Jaycar and Bunnings, $60-$100.

> Also I think we need a black book as part of the kit so we can track who
> is borrowing stuff outside of the ordinary offsite storage arrangement.
> It's OK while we all remember who's got what, but if something does go
> missing there's going to be a lot of unnecessary finger pointing.

Euan: twinpact, plugav1-3
Jason: plugav1-mix
Luke: plugav1-2, plugav1-3, 2x tripods, 2x cameras
	Box: JTS audience mike, audio mixer, 12-way powerboard
Nick: plugav1-1, av2
	Boxes: power, network, mikes, tape, Shure speaker mike
	Banner&sign

I've just tested the network switches, the TP-LINK TL-SG1016 16-port
Gigabit auto-MDI/MDX care of PeterT of gswd.com; and the Netgear
FS105. Both seem to be working fine.

We're not planning to be back at CWLH until perhaps 20121113 and 20121211
(20130108 available for booking in September), but their network doesn't
play well with ours. Certainly the ADSL router (and local DNS server),
hands out DHCP IP addresses with no local reverse DNS, leading to endless
10-second timeouts. I envision a more self-contained networking setup,
but we're not there yet.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal