[PLUG-AV] oh noes

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Wed Aug 15 15:04:42 WST 2012

> There were only a couple of live connections. I do try to check the live
> feed myself, but on this occasion I did it without headphones and turned
> the sound down, so that doesn't help.
>
> Running mplayer on the ~av/Videos/av-talk/*.dv files shows me the
> dvvideo/pcm_s16le streams, but it's silent. Playing the .mp4 gives me
> the same intro audio that you heard, then silence.

I was hoping just something went wrong with the encode rather than
no audio in the DV files (as I had been playing around with the audio
encoding options for the AWIA encodes previously).

...and right after you two were talking about the USB audio mixing desk
> meaning that we can directly capture that final audio stage, Harry asked
> me whether we could be sure of the mixed, recorded levels.  Those are
> the ones that should be visible in the VU meter in the dvswitch UI,
> right? and I thought "Ah, that must be what they meant, it must be right".

Well the ultimate check is monitoring the stream to check both audio and
video.

Euan has done a great job encapsulating all the necessary steps in the
DV menu, including testing, so this was definitely a failure of procedure.

As a speaker I can say i'm really disappointed about this. That said, I
know everyone is a volunteer and I appreciate all the help - it's more that
this isn't bulletproof yet :(

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857