[PLUG-AV] Servers (Was Re: oh noes)

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 05:13:26 WST 2012

We need to get an idea of server status' and what needs doing.

> In other news, pot.plug.org.au:/ is 99% full.

We should probably be putting AV stuff on bath, and linking it. Who
knows, maybe move the whole thing to bath? As LD has donated has the
VPS (pot) for this long, it might be time to stop and ask how it's
working and could we afford to pay for a bigger VPS somewhere? [1]

LDAP on bath is segfaulting. Tried to downgrade to stable (not sure
why we are running testing), but so many packages are tied into it,
that a downgrade for slapd isn't going to happen. Which leaves, moving
the ldap database to another server with a different slapd version to
see if it's just the slapd version or something else horribly wrong.
(I may try at some point to move it to my server just to try, I have a
12.04 server that has little on it that could be used for testing.

Shameless is still dead I assume? I've not heard or seen anything
about it for months. Are we intending to resurrect it?
On that note, original plan for bath was to have a small base system
with virtual machines. (KVM/OpenVZ would be techs I'd plug now,
original plan was Xen). A quick check doesn't show the CPU has having
hardware virt support, however it could just be disabled in BIOS. More
RAM would also be nice. Maybe I'll setup an LDAP server in an OpenVZ
container.

Tim

[1] I would like us to stay with at least 1 VPS, as history has shown
that maintaining our own hardware has been difficult, and to know that
at least our mailing list and website (and DNS) are up, even if we
can't fix the hardware, is a good thing)