[PLUG-AV] AV hacking day, was Re: Plug presentation

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 23 00:58:38 WST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 06:28:55AM +0800, Leon Wright wrote:
> Thanks! It was a bit of a shimozle at the start, but we got there in the
> end. Including everything's working, *slide change* ahh crap the twin pact
> machine isn't! (thanks nick!)

You're welcome - oops, I realised halfway though that we probably
could've done that remotely with SSH. <grin>

[...]
> We need to schedule another AV hacking day, I reckon a bit more polish and
> knowledge sharing would make things a little less frantic when things go
> sideways!

I think you're right.

Maybe things like:
 * updating our software installs;
 * getting things to start automatically, perhaps not Mumble;
 * status monitoring so it's more obvious when the DV streams or icecast
   dies, or perhaps other sanity checks like missing audio;
 * switching machine roles in case of failure;
 * reboxing/streamlining the setup of a camera ingest or mixer station.

Oh a related note, we at the Artifactory would like to get a system
together, probably just the one dvsource-firewire and perhaps a few
dvsource-v4l2-dv webcams. I think a Raspberry Pi or any low-end machine
should be up to the task there, even the right sort of cameraphone.
With the result - live streaming the music gigs, perhaps on PLUG's icecast
server if it makes it easy. The hardware would be supplied and it might
make sense to do the hacking day as a busy-bee at the Artifactory.

(My only note is that attendees who aren't subscription members of the
Artifactory would normally pay a day/half-day membership rate. I won't
speak for either committee on exactly what money is involved but perhaps
concession rates and/or club funding is appropriate if we get some decent
progress made)

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal