[PLUG-AV] Matterhorn

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon Feb 4 04:02:15 UTC 2013

Veyepar really shouldn't be doing anything magical, it's basically looking
at time codes of the DV files and matching up with time blocks from
zookeeper (conf program). It then runs a set of commands to do the
encoding. As you recall it doesn't even cater to farming out the jobs to
multiple render hosts so it is very limited in capability, not to mention
the UI to pick DV files for each time slot is total crap.

Matterhorn seems to do a lot more than this, which might be a plus or a
minus depending if we want/need that complexity. But as you say we should
give it a burl and see how it goes.

Jason.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Leon Wright <techman83 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I've had a quick look at matterhorn, I reckon we should spin up an AWS
> instance, get zookeeper and start working on an implementation pairing with
> matterhorn. Possibly running our monthly talks as mini conferences or
> something (with test data).
>
> It looks like matterhorn can integrate automatically with youtube as well!
> It can handle GStreamer sources and I saw a lot of references to RESTful
> APIs.
>
> After sitting with Paul Wayper and wading through Veyepar code, I can tell
> you right now that I will do everything in my power to never use it!!!
>
> Matterhorn:
> http://opencast.org/matterhorn/
>
> Also another technology we talked about at LCA gstswitch:
> https://github.com/duzy/gst-switch
>
> Videos from the conference are starting to appear to here:
> http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux.conf.au/2013/mp4/
>
> Leon
> --
> DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'
>
> # cat /dev/mem | strings | grep -i cats
> Damn, my RAM is full of cats... MEOW!!

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au