[PLUG-AV] Agenda: SSD thumbkey, was Re: Machine reinstalls

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 25 13:30:36 UTC 2013

As discussed in our last committee meeting: we do have the budget to
get some of our outstanding gear.

I think the frst handy thing might be getting this imaging system rolled
out - initial plan is to get some Clonezilla images on some decently
fast SSDs. (I've been using some cheap 4GB USB thumb keys, it works, but
the 2-4MB/sec writes do slow things down)

I think we can use some fast storage for this right now - Jason, do we
need a big SSD as well? Any preference, or a minimum size? or just enough
for a few images, with the master copies on our spinning rust drives?

From previous hacking session/busybee/workshop plans, we've got a number
of things to work on...
 * updating our software installs (in progress!);
 * getting things to start automatically, perhaps not Mumble;
 * status monitoring so it's more obvious when the DV streams or icecast
   dies, or perhaps other sanity checks like the output DV file not
   growing, disc space not going down, oggfwd dead, network traffic
   flowing, audio SNR in sane bounds - audio present, not silent, not
   staticy or daleky? If something fails, can we trigger a tally-light
   style warning?
 * switching machine roles in case of failure;
 * reboxing/streamlining the setup of a camera ingest or mixer station
   (the reboxing's helped, but there's a fair way to get to with things like:
	http://lists.plug.org.au/pipermail/av/2012q3/000606.html
	http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=T5052
   )

So: who's up for another busybee? Luke and I can make next Thursday
(perhaps at Spacecubed?). Worst case, we take some extra time before
the AWIA AGM recording the week after, Wed 20130807-1815.

Nick.

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 07:47:42PM +0800, Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 04:17:24PM +0800, Nick Bannon wrote:
> > Jason: you were after some image install media: these look pretty
> > cost-effective, under $50:
> >
> > http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-usb-3-0-thumb-drive/
> > 32 GB SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
> [...]
>
> In stock at MSY and PLE, including the 16GB version, which at $17 is

 probably even better value for us.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal