[PLUG-AV] LCA TV Expression of Interest

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Dec 9 15:15:46 UTC 2013

On 9/12/2013 9:10 PM, Euan de Kock wrote:
> The volunteer involvement will probably be on a rotation basis
> dependent on the resource usage for the main conference AV and general
> tasks, but it should be a good opportunity to get your AV experience
> up another notch.
>
> James Bromberger is heading this project up, and he'll post an
> additional mailer following this with some more detail.

Thanks Euan,

The idea is that we try and take the use of the AV platforms we've been
using to a bit more of a new level, and try and capture some of the
"hallway track" that makes up the buzz of LCA.

I'm looking for a few people that want to stretch out dvswitch and other
tools at our disposal and fill some air time before the keynote sessions
of LCA and between blocks of sessions, whilst during the sessions just
take a feed from the most interesting feed of the moment.

However, I don't want to overshadow the really important work of getting
the presentation streams recorded and streamed - that is of paramount
importance, where as this side project is a bit of an experiment, but
hopefully a bit of fun.

The main idea is for us to have a pair of couches, a couple of cameras
(2 - 3), perhaps a twinpact to or screengrab from X to capture a laptop
on the 'set', a couple of displays to show what's being sent out, a
screen to show current tweets, a little more advanced audio capture
(including - possibly - from a laptop for Mumble chats/Skype or
WebRTC?). We've got a number of 'tally lights' to aid us, and perhaps
jury rig a few other items we can play with. We have a selection of
microphones, but possibly not everything we need - and whomever is
mixing audio will be putting up with all kinds of distractions!

As to content - we've got a number of well known people to talk to, so
I'd like to cover off what we can technically achieve, and then what we
want to do with this platform.

I'm going to suggest we use the PLUG AV mailing list above to talk
specifically about this project (unless the ideas overwhelm the PLUG AV
list, in which case we'll relocate):
(NB: this message is going to LCA Volunteer & PLUG AV lists, but I'm
dropping 'Volunteers to BCC'.

Let me know if you're interested, and we'll set up a time this side of
New Years to chat about ideas.

  James
(This is what I wrote the patch for dvsource-file for, merged in 0.9.1 -
https://github.com/jnweiger/dvswitch/commit/f5ba344d83e5ac5a015a1ba359b3584175b7d071)

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to