[PLUG-AV] DVSWITCH V4L Support

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon Feb 3 17:10:31 UTC 2014

We'd have to test but perhaps the startup and setup time is reduced such
that lag is minimized compared to the manual pipeline approach.

We also need to test out Tim's method of using a custom gst pipeline which
he says only introduces 2 frames of lag (~80ms) which sounds pretty good.

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 11:30 PM, Euan de Kock <euan at dekock.net> wrote:

>  Just had a look at the git commits for dvswitch and spotted this comment
> from 11-Jan-2014:
>
>  Implement a generic V4L2 dvsource
>
>         dvgrab can read from a device using video4linux, if that device supports
>
>     a DV output method. Many such devices do not.
>
>         This commit adds a "v4l2-raw" mode which calls avconv rather than
>
>     dvgrab; while requiring significantly more resources than dvgrab on the
>
>     dvsource host, this then allows for using any V4L2-supported device as
>
>     an input to dvswitch.
>

> I haven't tested it yet to see wether it's more efficient than what we are
> currently using, but at least it's native to dvswitch.
>
> FYI avconv is part of libav (which is a fork of ffmpeg afaik)
>
> Regards,
>
> Euan.

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au