[PLUG-AV] Mixer choices

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Sep 26 23:31:06 AWST 2021

Hi Nick

You are right that these dual wireless mic mixers have no ability to adjust or
mute individual mics:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000945968405.html

Can you remind me how large the receiver is for the body worn mic that PLUG has ?

I am thinking the dual mic mixer above could be used with the body mic for the
presenter and one microphone for roving questions unless two is necessary.

I have also been looking for single wireless mics with independent receivers
but the cheaper ones use a single fixed frequency (for all mics):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968291259.html

Next are independent wireless channels with a concealed volume adjustment
inside the handle but still no real-time mute. AIUI the receiver still mixes
the two mic audio channels to a mono output:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002538456487.html

So I'm back to the first mixer above with channel 1 mixing one or two handheld
mics and channel 2 mixing the presenters body mic.

If you can find handheld mixers with individual channels but without the large
receiver as we already have:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001297377602.html

The four channel claims on the original mixer are really two mono inputs (we
could use for two mic channels in whatever form) but channels 3 and 4 are for
MP3 playback or similar for karoke.

This brings us back to the system size we already have (and AC to power the mixer)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001809272632.html

Feedback welcome. I think the first link is still the simplest option. moe
cost than the original ~$46 ones but they did not have the wireless mics.

All the best
Harry