[PLUG-AV] Retail therapy, was Re: Hedgedoc notes, [nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au: Re: Location details for AV Hack day]

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 18 11:29:19 AWST 2022

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 08:45:30AM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> [...]
> Going back over HedgeDoc, should we buy in at least the parts for further
> testing (today/tomorrow) to arrive before the next meetup ? if so, would
> they be:
> Lapel mic, ... ?
> That link I sent for lapel mics is pretty typical so I think the cheapest
> supplier would do.
>
> Or, should orders go out for all of the gear for Node 2 (and Node 3?). Are
> we satisfied with the mixer, ... (other parts) ?
> If we are going for a biggish amount of stuff, I'd prefer to use the PLUG
> card rather than buy in myself for PLUG as before.
> All the best
> Harry

Latter more than the former, I think. Ideally I'd prefer to do more of
it at meetings than between them, because:

* shopping can be fun!
  * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone_practice
    * > examples of close-mic vocal tracks include many songs on Elliott
        Smith's Elliott Smith and Either/Or, Lily Allen's "The Fear"
    * https://yewtu.be/q-wGMlSuX_c
* there's inevitably a bunch of these messages going to and fro, chat
  and email, not everyone who should have a chance to see them does
* easy use of PLUG's funds directly, immediate forwarding of actual
  text receipts, less of the makework emails, pending reimbursement
  requests, tracking, confirmations...
* final checks that we're in budget (there's a standing budget for AV
  bits and pieces, we usually have a committee member or two present to
  take responsibility)
* final checks that the shopping items look fit-for-purpose, we haven't
  missed a better value product or vendor or sale
  * Still hoping to find a mixer with a compatible UHF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavalier_microphone
  * and/or mono microphone pan control
* weighing up buying cheap bits and pieces now, vs putting together a
  grant request for a complete hardware refresh

So if we make a shopping list now (with direct purchase links) and action
it next time, that sounds good to me.

Next meeting: PLUG+POSH 2022-08-14 at Perth Artifactory
* https://www.meetup.com/perth-linux-users-group-plug/events/svrstsydclbsb/

Hedgedoc notes, TODO/agenda: https://demo.hedgedoc.org/I4cRmNnUQiyYBF3jXk6JyA#

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal