[PLUG-AV] Testing UberTally (was: Re: Progress on UberTally, Re: Tally SN0002 and SN0003 complete)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 14 12:35:59 AWST 2022

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 04:11:47PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> Hi Nick and AV
> On 12/9/22 21:16, Harry McNally wrote:
> > Hi Nick
> <snip>
> > Those new images I sent should be more forgiving with the protocol but I
> > haven't dropped OpenWRT on the Pi3 yet to try it there.
> > I am going to add code to use a PWM to adjust the big red LED brightness
> > as a precursor to using one in an EMC lab for an IEEE site visit.
[remote LED wire]
[destructive ESD tests - see also https://yewtu.be/watch?v=4SjOv_szzVM !  ]

Good stuff! I think there's been enough variations that it
would be good to have a version/status command, or at least a
power-on-version[-and-license?] notice, too. I'll give that a go if we
sit down for a hack session with them, or you might beat me to it. ::-)

> Well, here's an awkward question. Harry McDonald (the other Harry Mc), chair
> of IEEE WA Section has asked if lab space is limited to 10 attendees, could
> I create a webinar ? Then I thought ..
>
> Is broadcasting from the EMC labs in Bassendean something that PLUG AV would
> tackle ? It is a bit circular, PLUG AV webinar broadcast of testing the PLUG
> AV UberTally but there you go.

You mean like a PLUG-volunteer community-recording-session? I could be
up for that sometime.

...or "can harrymc^2 borrow some PLUG equipment"? Also fine - as an
experienced AV volunteer we trust you with it and it's part of the vital
job of building AV Node 2 and 3; or preparing for a complete hardware
refresh and Lotterywest? grant. (we're due!)

> Did I read BBB is out to lunch at the moment ? I this is fixable, let me
> know if AV people could/would do this and we can consider some more.

UCC's BBB is, yes. There's alternatives, like:
- Jitsi
- Jami?
- the BBB demo server
- OBS
- or my favorite option: spinning up an ephemeral PLUG server
  during meetings, exporting and backup'ing, then tearing it down

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal