[off-topic] dual band 3g reception

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 00:27:40 WST 2011

Hi folks,

Can someone clarify for me the expected reception with dual band
900/2100mhz '3g' networks when using a single band 2100mhz phone? I live
in a rural area where dual band is now very good, but the single band
2100mhz coverage is non-existent.

I bought a single band 2100mhz 3g phone and expected that the phone
would get signal in my area by using the 2100mhz portion of the signal.
Seems that is not the case. Another phone I have is dual band
900/2100mhz and gets very good signal, whereas the single band phone
gets nothing.

1/ Is it possible that the single band phone I have bought is faulty if
not getting reception in a dual band area?
2/ Am I totally misunderstanding how it should work and that the optus
dual band tower is actually only transmitting 900mhz?
3/ does a phone have to be dual band to work in a dual-band-only
reception area (where it can't fall back to 2g because none avail)?

Thanks
--
Regards,

Gavin Chester