[off-topic] Which LCD (or LED) monitor?

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Fri Dec 30 18:47:59 WST 2011

Hey Jim,

That sounds more like the behaviour when using a LCD screen with and older
style VGA (analogue) source. The LCD is a digital display and has to
perform an analogue to digital conversion and it's this which results in
varied results. The auto-button just forces the monitor to give it another
shot.

If this is the case then you'd have better results checking if your video
card supports DVI out and your monitor supports DVI in (some older ones
didn't).

If you're after a good screen then I'd recommend the Dell U2212HM, 21.5"
full HD, LCD backlight, and eIPS panel type - that just means better colour
reproduction and viewing angles. Currently $249 but all their monitors
frequently get discounted in cycles (at 10-20%).

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au>wrote:

> <rant>
> I'm looking for a 21" monitor that reasonably accurately displays what is
> sent to it.
> Last year I got an Acer H223HQ.  It is nice enough for most stuff, but
> when it comes to white text on a black background it is absolutely
> miserable.
> It re-adjusts the display to 'improve' it, resulting in unreadable text.
>  I'm constantly needing to press the Auto button to get an acceptable
> display.
> It can have good crisp text on one side of the screen but on the other
> side characters have more than half the pixels dimmed.
> Press the Auto button and the brightness varies across the screen in waves
> before settling down.
> It's too &$&^%$ smart for it own good.
> </rant>
>
> Is there a monitor that will display what it receives without 'improving'
> it?
>
> Jim

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au