[off-topic] SIMM cards and hardware

Kev kdownes at oceanbroadband.net
Sun Oct 2 22:33:56 WST 2011

On 02/10/11 16:09, Tim White wrote:
> On 2/10/11 4:31 PM, Kev wrote:
>>  G'day all,
>>
>> Is anyone here able to confirm one way or another whether Telstra
>> SIMM cards will work OK in other hardware (3G routers in
>> particular)?  Unfortunately I live in a 3rd world area where 3G,
>> satellite or Oceanbroadband are my only options, and I've had my fill
>> of Oceanbroadband.
>
> I believe most telstra sims will work. However I've heard rumours that
> Bigpond internet sims won't work. (Bigpond mobile broadband IS
> different to Telstra mobile broadband).
>
> Its their modems that are the annoying part locked to their network. I
> have a nice unlocked NextG 3G router that works great with telstra
> prepaid sims and other providers. Otherwise if reception is great, a
> usb dongle with a mini computer works great.
>
> Tim
> p.s. I know your pain of rural internet. Here's hoping that NBN won't
> fail us so that when I move back to a rural area I can continue my work.

Well, that messes me around then.  I (carelessly) thought that Bigpong
was just the data arm of Telstra.  So I'd better go back and check what
I've been looking at.

What I ideally want is a router which will accept a 3G SIMM and will
have an RJ45 port to connect to my switch.  I need to dump
oceanbroadband asap.  Everyone I've spoken to has said that Telstra
would certainly be the fastest, but their hardware is always locked.  So
I want unlocked hardware and a Telstra SIMM.  Any suggestions about
hardware would be most welcome.

Tia
Spud

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at oceanbroadband.net  ph 04047 08082
We currently use and recommend Linux
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand trinary
        those who confuse it with binary
        and those who don't know the difference.