[off-topic] SIMM cards and hardware

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 19:54:26 WST 2011

> 3. 3G - getting cheaper and faster all the time.  Telstra's latest
> offering is 1.5 to 8Mb/s and 8GB for $60/month.  AMAYSIM are cheaper,
> but everyone so far says that the Optus network is considerably
> slower.  8GB should be enough as I have a friend (fellow PLUGger) in
> town who is more than willing to get large downloads for me.  For
> those near enough to the main exchange Bigpong and Exetel have ADSL2
> dslams.  For me, no wired internet (except dial-up) available at all.
>
> So I'm looking at going to 3G internet, and probably Telstra, but
> don't want to buy locked hardware if I can help it.  I have a mixed
> (wired and wireless) network and I figure that my easiest way out is
> to buy a router with a 3G SIMM slot and at least 1 RJ45 slot.  I know
> that there are other ways to do it, but for a non-tech simpleton like
> me they seem to be more complicated and/or more expensive.
Optus /can/ be decently fast. In particular, if you get a modem that
does the 900Mhz band (Optus' equivalent of NextG) then there is a lot
less traffic on that band and you get much better performance. Also,
being further away from town is actually a good thing on the Optus
network (less competition for airtime). i.e. Here in the CBD of
Toowoomba 3G is almost impossible to use, but on the outskirts of town
we can use it fairly well most of the time (not so good in the evenings,
but we are near the student village).

Having a quick look on ebay, there are a lot more 3G routers available
now than 10 months ago. I got an unlocked 3G9WB (Bigpond modem, unlocked
so works on all networks, in 850Mhz so NextG capable, not Optus 900Mhz).
Will obviously do the 2100Mhz which means all 3G networks work on it,
just not nessesarily as well as the 900Mhz band.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNLOCKED-3G-Modem-Router-WiFi-Bigpond-3G9WB-NextG-NEW-/370475721521?pt=AU_Networking&hash=item564212e331

A lot of the 3G routers aren't modem all in ones, but have a usb port
for adding the 3G modem/dongle.
i.e.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300M-3G-WAN-Wireless-N-Network-WiFi-USB-AP-Router-2-Antennas-Adapter-802-11b-g-n-/280729993910?pt=AU_Networking&hash=item415ccfc2b6

While these could end up costing more, it should allow you more
flexability. i.e. you get a Telstra prepaid NextG dongle, and a
Optus/Virgin (900Mhz) dongle, and use which ever gives you the best at
the time. At least if you can borrow someone's dongle you can test it
with these routers without wasting money on a NextG router/modem all in
one that then doesn't do Optus. As I ended up with a Optus (Vodafone NZ)
dongle I kinda wish I now had a 3G router instead of the 3G9WB.

I hope that makes some sense, it's a bit late over here for me to think
straight. Hopefully it'll give you a starting point for getting the best
internet deal! Let us know what you end up doing as I could be back in
the Wireless 3G zone next year instead of ADSL.

Tim