[off-topic] SIMM cards and hardware

Kev kdownes at oceanbroadband.net
Thu Oct 6 14:51:27 WST 2011

Tim,

do you reckon this (3G8WV)  ...

http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-46040445-?gclid=CMCYrb6m06sCFW1U4godtW_dVg

would be a good solution for me?  It does the 900MHz and has 802.11n
WiFi too.  It has VOIP as well, which I hadn't thought about, but with
the hardware in hand I probably would think about.

There is the (3G19W) ...

http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-46040447-NetComm_3G19W_3G_WIFI_Router_-_Wireless_G_router_for_SIM_-_built-in_multi-mode_3

which is much cheaper, but has only 802.11g WiFi and no VOIP.  Do you
reckon the WiFi speed difference would be a problem?  I'd prefer faster,
but don't really know whether I notice it or not.

Absence of choice really would clear the mind here! This is a real mine
field for the unwary/unknowing.

Any'ow, something like that, with built-in 3g, WiFi and RJ45 is what
I've decided to go for.  Then there's compatibility with various
vendors' SIMM cards to consider as well I s'pose.  Neither of these
appear to be Telstra or Bigpong specific, though Netcomm claim
compatibility with both.  I'm considering Amaysim.

My local Telstra shop informed me (just a couple of hours ago) that
without an ABN (ie as a home user) I'd have to have Bigpong.  With an
ABN I can go Telstra, but would be confined to business plans only.

Many thanx for your indulgence so far,
Cheers
Spud

On 03/10/11 20:09, Tim White wrote:
> I forgot to say, the B is supposed to do 7.2Mbps downlink (which the
> Telstra network should support). Optus modems probably won't get you
> more than 1/2 that speed if you are luck. So if you are ok with ADSL1
> speeds, Optus should be ok, otherwise you'll need NextG. Personally,
> for cost reasons, I suffer the Optus speeds for the much cheaper costs!
>
> Tim

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at oceanbroadband.net  ph 04047 08082
We currently use and recommend Linux
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand trinary
        those who confuse it with binary
        and those who don't know the difference.