[off-topic] SIMM cards and hardware

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:45:17 WST 2011

On 6/10/11 4:51 PM, Kev wrote:
> Tim,
>
> do you reckon this (3G8WV)  ...
>
> http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-46040445-?gclid=CMCYrb6m06sCFW1U4godtW_dVg
>
> would be a good solution for me?  It does the 900MHz and has 802.11n
> WiFi too.  It has VOIP as well, which I hadn't thought about, but with
> the hardware in hand I probably would think about.

Looks good. Just note that it's not VoIP, rather it's Voice over GSM, so
basically it's like using a mobile phone but plugged into a handset. You
could still run VoIP with an ata but your performance may not be good
enough.
> <snip>
>
> which is much cheaper, but has only 802.11g WiFi and no VOIP.  Do you
> reckon the WiFi speed difference would be a problem?  I'd prefer
> faster, but don't really know whether I notice it or not.

If you don't need the voice over GSM, then probably get this one. If you
are just using wifi for internet, then even wireless b would be fast
enough! If you are doing file transfers between computers then wireless
N would be nice unless you can plug into ethernet for big transfers.
> Absence of choice really would clear the mind here! This is a real
> mine field for the unwary/unknowing.
>
> Any'ow, something like that, with built-in 3g, WiFi and RJ45 is what
> I've decided to go for.  Then there's compatibility with various
> vendors' SIMM cards to consider as well I s'pose.  Neither of these
> appear to be Telstra or Bigpong specific, though Netcomm claim
> compatibility with both.  I'm considering Amaysim.
The 3G SIM cards should all be compatible.

> My local Telstra shop informed me (just a couple of hours ago) that
> without an ABN (ie as a home user) I'd have to have Bigpong.  With an
> ABN I can go Telstra, but would be confined to business plans only.
If you go post-paid, then yes Bigpond. However you can go prepaid and
get Telstra. You can also go prepaid or postpaid mobile plan that has a
data pack. Not sure if you can get Bigpond without them giving you
hardware ether.  Also, Telstra now has it's 4G network running, so that
adds more to the mix!

Tim