[off-topic] What is a shearers cot ?

home at oranges.id.au home at oranges.id.au
Mon Sep 26 14:23:23 WST 2011

On 23 September 2011 23:39, Arie Hol <arie99 at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2011 at 22:46, Lee Jamieson wrote:
>> Usually at a camping stores.
>
> Yes, I know - I have ckecked out many of the types available from camping
> stores - but I do not want any of the camp stretcher type of beds - They
> are too uncomfortable.

I have a loose theory on camping gear: There's a trade off between
'stationary function' and 'moving function', with 'transition
function' being another factor which might affect the other two, or
some other detail like price or durability. Want a comfortable night's
sleep? Take your spring mattress on its slat or box base. Want to be
able to carry it easily? take a thin sleeping bag and a rolled up 5mm
foam mat. Everything in between is a tradeoff (:

I was shopping for a tent recently (Ranger Camping ftw) and the same
applies[1], and while there I noticed a few stretchers that seem
pretty good. I have a newish one like this:
http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/media/cm3016_camp_stretcher.jpg
with four simple 'legs', but after remembering them fondly from 15
years ago, mine sucks. So many different choices tho, e.g.
http://www.discountcamping.com.au/index.php?page=products&pageid=beds&pagesubid=stretchers

Arie, how about the "Anywhere Bed" ? "Folding Camp Bed" and
"Kookaburra Adjustable Stretcher" look like they use wire mesh across
the middle of the support too, so less of the uncomfortable sag.

Good luck,
Greg.

[1]
Small tent: Easy to put up, easy to carry, squeezy, flimsy. $
Medium tent 1: Slower to put up, heavier to carry, spacious, flimsy. $$
Medium tent 2: Very easy to put up, very heavy and bulky to carry,
spacious, durable. $$$$
Caravan: Already put up, need a car to pull it, can run laps inside,
durable. $$$$$