[off-topic] Spreadsheet question

Evert evert at silver-sword.com
Mon Mar 12 21:32:39 WST 2012

There is a way to reference a single cell even if you copy the cells
that use a value of this cell.

The Value of  Cell A1 can be accessed by a different cell (say D3) in
the following way [=A1]
if you copy cell D3 into D4 the formula changes to [=A2] - this is the
default action (in Excel and OOo and LibreOffice)
If you want to force the value in D4 to remain A1 then you set the value
in C3 to [=$A$1], then when you copy to D4 it stays as [=$A$1]
to copy to a new sheet you use [=$sheet1.$A$1]

Is this what you are looking for?

On 12-March-2012 21:09, Jim Householder wrote:
> Sorry about the lack of details.  I'm powered by off-grid solar, and I
> use OpenOffice.org to keep a daily record of power used and the
> minimum State of Charge on the batteries.  I keep track of minimum SOC
> and KWh daily, and for each month the averages and total KWh.
>
> The find and replace works nicely, but a bit tedious.  For each of the
> 10 columns referenced I replaced =<col> with =Sheet1.<col> without
> worrying about row numbers.  I tried replacing "=" with "=Sheet." but
> it did not like that.  Said it could not find the search string.
>
> Thanks
> Jim
>

> On 03/12/12 19:00, Dion wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Nice idea. It may be handy to know which spreadsheet application you're
>> using.
>>
>> In Libre Office and probably OpenOffice too, just highlight the block of
>> cells you want to change and then do a find and replace. Replace
>> cellnumber with sheetname.cellnumber eg "A7" with "Sheet2.A7"
>>
>> For many references, I don't know if it can do a regular expression. It
>> depends on the complexity of your spreadsheet whether this is worth
>> exploring.
>>
>> Regards,
>> D.
>>
>> On 12/03/12 3:23 AM, Jim Householder wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I'm keeping a daily record of my power usage in a spreadsheet. After I
>>> set it up, I decided I wanted a summary by month. Now the area for the
>>> summary is getting tight. I would like to move it to a second sheet.
>>>
>>> Is there a simple way to move an 8 x 46 block of cells, each of which
>>> has a reference to a single cell, to a second sheet without manually
>>> adjusting every cell?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Jim