[off-topic] Reboot will fix everything

Gregory Orange home at oranges.id.au
Wed Mar 14 16:30:22 WST 2012

On 14 March 2012 16:06, Kai <vk6ksj at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> "we'll just give it a reboot, if that doesn't clean things up then we'll look further..."
> Is that a widespread attitude with Windows servers?

Hehe we used to sometimes hear that from the Windows-only guys in our
parent company's IT team. More recently I was talking to our hosting
provider about an issue and they suggested that perhaps last time we
rebooted the server something didn't come up right. I appraised him
that with over a thousand days uptime, it weren't no reboot that
caused nuthin'.

Maybe there's some truth to it, although OS reputations change much
slower than even OS varieties themselves. Windows is much more stable
than back when you were required to reboot every 19 days (or was even
that a myth) else guaranteed BSOD or somesuch, but that doesn't mean
everyone knows or believes that. GNU/Linux is also much easier to use
than "ncurses interfaces are for wimps" days, but that equally doesn't
mean everyone knows or believes it (:

Greg.

--
Gregory Orange