[off-topic] Reboot will fix everything

Bruce M. Axtens bruce.axtens at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 20:24:18 WST 2012

It's amazing how often a reboot helps ... even with iPads.

That three restarts rule is a new one. Certainly outside my experience (which is fairly wide).

> About patch management, I haven't seen how ours is managed yet. I can understand if major things like kernerl updates, or in Windows case, key dll's, etc need to be re-read, and/or re-registered, a restart is needed, but for general patching I'd think only the relevant services need restarting to process the changes.

What one would think and what the (unpleasant) reality is are far far apart. Windows restarts for the most trivial of reasons. Occasionally, it breaks the mould and updates without a restart but it's hard to pick when that will be the case. No OS is perfect, especially Windows.

As for DLLs, there are two kinds, and that complicates matters as well. And then there's UAC.

Bruce