[off-topic] Reboot will fix everything

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 14 17:16:02 WST 2012

Its a value judgement and design decision.  Windows reinitialises during
reboot, so a "quick reboot" will fix things and life goes on.  If you
dont and hours can be wasted tracking down a fault when a reboot would
have the system back online much quicker.

Unix had a different phylosophy, make the system more stable and easy to
fix so it doesnt need to go offline for a reboot.

Which is better? - seems these days with windows being much more stable
better designed there is not much in it, especially as linux is getting
more complex and convoluted in its design (i.e., the /usr and udev
disaster in waiting).  Convergent evolution :(

BillK