[off-topic] Reboot will fix everything

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Wed Mar 14 19:56:15 WST 2012

Yeah, a lot of the time a 30 minute reimage is definately easier than spending hours trying to work out what's actually wrong, specially since human factors (there's the pilot side of me coming out) says that anything which involves humans can, and often will, have random glitches that no one will ever figure out.

Other than "reboot fixes everything", one of the other main observations in my working environment is "after power failure/network being restored, three reboots, spaced about 10 minutes apart, should bring everything back". I've never seen any other environment where it's common practice to consciously reboot a server three times to get all services working. Things take time to propagate over a large scale WAN and maybe restarting a service might be necessary but I dunno why three complete reboots is a regular thing...

About patch management, I haven't seen how ours is managed yet. I can understand if major things like kernerl updates, or in Windows case, key dll's, etc need to be re-read, and/or re-registered, a restart is needed, but for general patching I'd think only the relevant services need restarting to process the changes.