[off-topic] Wifi Security - or lack thereof...

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Wed Nov 7 11:26:54 WST 2012

Hi,

I have just spent a month on the road in the USA and Canada, and
Internet security has been an issue.

Perhaps 7 or 8 motels had secured wifi, another 13 or so asked for a
password before the first page could be displayed, and the rest were
wide open.

When I tried to talk to them about security, they were not interested.
They seem to think that the limited coverage area was sufficient.

Oh, and 2 only had wired connections.  I'm on one of them now.  I have
avoided any sites that need a password other than my email.

One of these days I will set up tightvnc or similar but I usually
procrastinate until it's too late.

Cheers
Jim