[off-topic] Wifi Security - or lack thereof...

Michael Van Delft michael at hybr.id.au
Tue Nov 13 12:58:41 WST 2012

I only just got this message on the 13th, there are two way I'd deal
with WiFi I don't trust, one is only uses sites and
browsers/programs[1] that have SSL setup correctly. HTTPS everwhere[2]
can help with this on sites that only default SSL for the login page.
The other option is setting up a VPN although that really just shifts
the issue from “Do you trust the WiFi?” to “Do you trust your VPN
provider?”

It’s sad how few people take security seriously, it was hard work for
me to convince the web developers we use at work that keeping peoples
passwords for our website in plain text would have been a very bad
idea.

[1] There was a big buzz in the news about mobile apps that don’t
check certificate authority paths correctly and are still vulnerable
to MITM attacks all mainstream browsers are ok.
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2012/11/new_ssl_vulnera.html

[2]https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere